Monday, May 8, 2017

May 8, 2017

Nature, Gardens, & Spiders (oh, my!)

"A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees." - Frederick William Faber


After being at home for April vacation and having the chance to slow my usual "work pace," my children and I took delight in watching the plants, flowers, and large maple tree in our backyard come to life over the course of three days of sun.  As if the universe was speaking directly to us, I realized what to focus on for my first week back; nature, gardens, and spiders!   For our first title, I chose local author Kate Messner's Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt.  This beautifully illustrated (Christopher Silas Neal) nonfiction story highlights how there is as much happening below the surface of a garden as there is above.  

For our next title, I wanted to remind the learners that while we have an amazing book collection in the SATEC library, we also have access to thousands of more titles on our Tumble Book digital collection.  For this offering, we shifted to the inspirational fiction story Rose's Garden by Peter H. Reynolds.  It was an entertaining Tumble experience for all!  

Last, but not least, I wanted to inject a bit of "Mr. Flanagan humor" into the week.  I found the perfect title for this in Bethany Barton's I'm Trying to Love Spiders (It Isn't Easy).  This book was enjoyed by all, resulting in almost everyone LOL'ing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment